On January 22, 2016, the Illinois Supreme Court entered Order M.R. 18368 announcing mandatory electronic filing (e-filing) for civil cases in the Illinois Supreme, Appellate and Circuit Courts. The Supreme Court Order requires e-filing through a single, centralized electronic filing manager (EFM), which will be integrated with each court's case management system.
Mandatory statewide e-filing marks the latest step in the Court's ongoing efforts of using technology to make the judicial system more efficient. E-filing will streamline the process for filing documents — conserving environmental resources and time while generating long-term cost savings. Read the press release »
The eFileIL initiative has begun and, over the coming months, e-filing will be phased in and evolve to meet the mandatory dates identified in the Supreme Court’s Order. Effective July 1, 2017, the Order mandates e-filing in the Supreme Court and the five districts of the Appellate Court. In addition, all 102 trial courts are to transmit the record on appeal through eFileIL to their respective reviewing court. The Order then mandates that, effective January 1, 2018, all civil cases shall be e-filed in the trial courts. Also effective January 1, 2018, e-filing shall be mandated through eFileIL in 87 counties not exempted by the Supreme Court’s Order. To ease their transition to eFileIL, the 15 counties exempted in the Order may continue to use their existing e-filing systems.
- E-Filing Project Schedule »
- Illinois Record on Appeal Standards »
- Register for online filer training »
In an effort to create uniformity and a consistent e-filing experience across the state, a set of configuration standards have been developed. The standards include a common set of case types, filing codes and options. These configuration standards will evolve over time to provide a simplistic filing experience to filing community members.
Upcoming Bar Presentation Meetings
Please join us and learn more about eFileIL.
- Monday, March 6 at 1:30 p.m., Boone County Bar Meeting
The presentation will be held in the Boone County Administration Building, located at 1212 Logan Ave., Belvidere, Illinois 61008. Google Maps »
- Tuesday, March 7 at 2:30 p.m., Rock Island Bar Presentation and EFSP Fair
The presentation will be held in the Jury Assembly Room, located at 1317 3rd Ave., Rock Island, Illinois 61201. Google Maps »
- Tuesday, April 4, Appellate Lawyers Association, 2nd District in Elgin
- Wednesday, April 12 at 5:00 p.m., Northwest Suburban Bar Association
The presentation will be held at Ditka's in Arlington Heights, located at 2000 West Euclid Ave., Arlington Heights, Illinois 60005. Google Maps »
- Friday, April 21, ISBA Conference Presentation in Starved Rock
- Wednesday, May 10, Appellate Lawyers Association, 4th District in Springfield
- Friday, May 12 at 10:00 a.m., 15th Circuit Bar Association Presentation and EFSP Fair
The presentation will be held at Freeport Public Library, located at 100 E. Douglas Street, Freeport, Illinois 61032. Google Maps »
- Friday, May 19, 2017, Appellate Lawyers Association, 5th District in Collinsville
- Thursday, June 8, 2017, Appellate Lawyers Association, 3rd District in LaSalle